The Cumberland County
PO Box 16, Greenwich, NJ 08323
1908, at the same time plans were being made to erect a monument to
commemorate the Tea Burning in Greenwich, the Cumberland County
Historical Society was organized as a non-profit corporation.
The first recorded meeting of the incorporators of the Cumberland
County Historical Society was held in the old Cumberland County
Court House on Broad Street in Bridgeton at 2 PM on December 2,
Charter Members organized the Society in order to apply to the Board
of Freeholders and the State Legislature for funds to erect a
monument in Greenwich to the memory of the brave Patriots who burned the tea on
December 22, 1774.
Headquarters was then located on the top floor of the Cumberland County
1945, the Wood family of Philadelphia leased the Wood Mansion in
Greenwich to the Society for its Headquarters. Its artifacts
and accumulated records were moved to Greenwich.
19, 1960 the Society acquired the Gibbon House and its barn on Ye
Greate Street. Several years later a Swedish log farm building
was moved to this site. Each yearl the Annual Craft fair is
held on the grounds of the Gibbon House.
Museum has been established in the former Lecture Room which was built by
the congregation of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in 1852 and
presently displays artifacts relating to the waterways of the area.
purchase of the former Greenwich branch bank in 1993, the voluminous
collection of genealogical material, rare books, deeds and maps previously
displayed in the Pirate House were transferred to this commodious building
which is now known as the Warren Lummis Genealogical & Research
Society is also the owner of the Tea Burners Monument, the Old
Cohansey Baptist Cemetery, and the Cumberland County Liberty Bell
with they display in the Court House lobby. We are
administrators of the Potters Tavern in Bridgeton and the Old Stone
Church in Fairton.
The Society is very
active in promoting knowledge concerning the history of Cumberland
County and has much to offer its members. The Officers and
Trustees cordially invite you to join this
Tea Burners Monument