History of the Collection


he archives of the Cumberland County Historical Society Library (1748-1830) have been compiled over the past one hundred fifty years.  L.Q.C. Elmer, first county historian, began the collection and passed it on to Charles E. Sheppard, who wrote the second County history and served as president of the historical society.  During the years 1909-1946, the society was housed in the court house; many court related documents were added then.  In 1946, the society moved to the Wood Mansion in Greenwich, and the many Richard Wood documents were added there.  After 1975, Carl West served as librarian and catalogued the archives.  Many documents were added and more properly housed in the Pirate House Library.  There has been further enhancement of the collection at the Warren Lummis Library since 1992.